The US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Vermont Department of Health (Department) have specific requirements for rental, public, and commercial buildings, where renovation or demolition activities are to take place.

  • Prior to the renovation or demolition, there must be an inspection for suspect asbestos-containing materials (ACM).
  • This applies only in public buildings, facilities and buildings that are being renovated or demolished to become a public building or facility, and only in those areas which will be disturbed by either the renovation or demolition.
  • This inspection must be conducted by a Vermont certified asbestos inspector.

Under the law, both the building owner and contractor are responsible to ensure the inspection has been conducted prior to the renovation or demolition.

What happens if the inspector finds asbestos-containing materials (ACM) in the building?

  • The ACM must be removed by a Vermont certified abatement contractor prior to the renovation or demolition.
  • The abatement contractor will have to notify the Department and the EPA prior to the abatement and obtain a project permit from the Department.
  • RenodemoFAQ

What happens if the inspector does not find ACM in the building?

  • Renovation — You proceed with your project.
  • Demolition — You must notify EPA and the Department of this finding 10 working days prior to the start of demolition.

Are there ACM that a general contractor can remove?

The specific ACMs listed below pose less of a helath risk because they do not release fibers easily unless chipped, ground, sanded, sawed, drilled, abraded, etc. These materials include:

  • Vinyl asbestos flooring and mastics
  • Exterior asbestos roofing materials
  • Extrior asbestos siding materials
  • Exterior asbestos cement piping
  • Exterior asbestos transite board
  • Asbestos transite board and asbestos cement piping in open air buildings
  • Asbestos transite board in Agricultural Barns

A general contractor is allowed to remove the above listed asbestos materials without an asbestos abatement entity license or an abatement permit, if removal action does not create friable conditions. Please note that specific work practices to control asbestos hazard potential must be utilized. For more information, please see the Vermont Regulations for Asbestos Control (VRAC) Section 6.

Does an inspector have to sample these materials?

No, any party can sample only the materials listed above, and submit the samples to a licensed analytical laboratory, following the Department’s guidelines. Please note, any removal of these materials must be in accordance with Section 6 of VRAC.

These materials do have to be removed prior to the renovation or demolition and the building owner or general contractor can do this in accordance with VRAC.

There are work standards and disposal requirements for these materials outlined in Section 6 of VRAC.

Sample List of Suspect Abestos-Containing Materials

This list does not include every product or material that may contain asbestos.

Leave a Reply