Construction, Day 14 One Roof Finished An Eclectic Mind

Construction, Day 14 One Roof Finished An Eclectic Mind

Despite moderate to heavy winds, the workers manage to finish one of the buildings two roofs.

On May 20, 2014, I began blogging about the construction of my new home in Malaga, WA. You can read all of these posts and see the time-lapse movies that go with them by clicking the new home construction tag.

Mondays high wind postponed roof work. The wind was also supposed to be a factor on Tuesday, but when the workers arrived around 7 AM, the wind wasnt much more than a breeze. They decided to go for it.

In this shot, you can see the first roll of insulation and first roof metal panel placed. Two workers are delivering a rolled up sheet of roof metal to the guys waiting on the roof.

There were four workers in the crew that day and you could tell that theyd obviously done this many times before. They started by using the man-lift to get two of the workers and a roll of insulation up on the roof beams. The workers unrolled and placed the insulation. Then the two men on the ground rolled up one of the many long sheets of roofing metal and tied it securely. They used the man lift to get it up to the workers on the roof. They unrolled it and fastened it into place.

The very edge of the roof, where it overhangs the outside of the building by about two feet, did not get any insulation. As Angel and I discussed later on, theres no reason for it and its basically all taken away by birds, over time, for nesting material. (Note to self: keep garage doors closed during bird nesting season.)

I busied myself with work around the yard for most of the morning. I needed to construct a latticework for my peas and beans to climb as they grow. I needed to haul off some sage I thought Id burn but realized was an eyesore. I needed to retrieve a 20-in by 14-ft culvert pipe someone had left on my property years ago and put it on Craigs List to earn a quick buck. My 1999 Yamaha Grizzly ATV, which I bought new in 1999 for yard work in Arizona, was a huge help. Im so glad I brought it with me, along with the farm trailer, Id bought in Arizona all those years ago to use with it.

At one point, I drove the Grizzly up the road for a look at their progress from above. In only a few hours, theyd done more than half the roof.

Construction, Day 14 One Roof Finished An Eclectic Mind

I cant believe how quickly the roof metal went up.

Meanwhile, the wind was picking up. I really expected them to call it quits, but if theres one thing I noticed about this crew, its that they like to finish a whole job in a day. You can clearly see this if you go back through the day-by-day posts Ive written about the project. So even after breaking for lunch at about noon, they went back to the roof to finish up.

I had a meeting at the airport to attend at 2 PM. Although I toyed with the idea of flying over, I had some errands to run in town so I drove. I passed the workers on their way home when I drove back around 4:15. When I reached the overlook for my building, I saw that the roof was done.

The larger of my two roofs is done.

I have a time-lapse for the day (of course). It doesnt clearly show what they did because of the camera angle. Although I toyed with the idea of moving the camera, I didnt want to deal with the problem of getting power out to it. So I left it where it was. The other roof work, which should be done today, will be more visible.

Leave a Reply