Where to find a slate roofer All Over Albany

Where to find a slate roofer All Over Albany

Where to find a slate roofer?

Rebecca asks via email:

Irene was kind enough to point out some areas where our roof could use a little leak control. The thing is, we have a slate roof that is 90+ years old and I’d like to keep it for another 90 or so. Just wondering if the AOA community has some tips for good/reputable slate roofers/repairers. There are a ton of slate roofs in the area so hoping someone has had a good experience with someone who SPECIFICALLY works on slate roofs.

We’re guessing that roofers will be in high demand the next few weeks as people struggle to both repair after the storm and button up any holes before winter, so finding one who will do good work, especially on something that’s such a big expense, is crucial.

Comments

I have a similar problem with my Spanish Tile roof. Unfortunately there are not many of those in the area. I have been having a hard time tracking down replacement tiles and someone who really knows how to fix this type.

. said Laura on Aug 29, 2011 at 2:56 PM | link

www.starroofing.net/) this year, and was very happy. although they could not give an estimate beforehand, they carefully laid out how they charge.

. said Brian on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM | link

My mom had a slate roof on her 70 yr old cape. When she had to have it replaced about 2 years ago she was told by several contractors that no one makes slate roofs anymore. From this experience I would guess that if it’s even possible you are probably talking about hiring specialists and paying a pretty penny.

. said Victoria on Aug 29, 2011 at 3:49 PM | link

My wife and I had our slate roof fixed two years ago and our roofer, who specialized in slate demanded that he was retired. Didn’t even want me to give his name out. Since then I’ve had people BEG me for the name. Since he’s called it a career, and I’d like to know who to call down the road, I’d also like to know who can fix a slate roof!

I don’t know if it makes any difference, but I’m just looking for someone/company for repair/maintenance, *definitely* not a replacement. Our roof is is relatively good shape and would like to keep it that way, but we have leaks where the chimney and plumbing vent meet the roof. And I’m sure we could stand to have a few slates replaced.

. said Rebecca on Aug 29, 2011 at 7:30 PM | link

A pretty, but well worth penny. Retaining and repairing the original components of an older home is very important, not just for maintaining the visual appearance but to preserve and its systems. It’s important to remember that that house was built/designed to have that slate or tile roof, so things like the gutter/rain water systems, ventilation systems, even the heating, cooling, were all designed and operated around that particular roof. I’d suggest a call to your local preservation non-profit, historic albany foundation, for a suggestion on a contractor.

DO NOT use Olde Mohawk. They "repaired" the roof but plugged up the roof drain. The roof drainpipe leaked badly, causing several hundred dollars of damage which they refused to reimburse. Had to take them to small claims court—they didn’t show. The really annoying thing was when the leak happened the owner was totally non responsive.

He was very thorough and very reasonable. I try and get my slate roof looked at once every 2 years or so, as every winter seems to take a slate or two.

. said Paul C. on Aug 30, 2011 at 3:44 AM | link

I’ll also give a hearty recommendation of Francis Lindop of Lindop Carpentry — excellent work, honest, and reasonably priced for the quality of work. He’s the one who did both the Women’s Club and Ronald McDonald House roofs on Madison Ave. in Albany. He’s also done very nice work on my own home. 899-4418

Larry London has done work on our 100 year old slate roof several times, always very very reasonable and a really great guy. Highly recommended: 518-705-6048

Where to find a slate roofer?

Rebecca asks via email: